It is nearly Spring, so it is the perfect time of year to start planning your new landscape. As landscape designers serving Lancaster and the surrounding areas, we have helped many of your friends and neighbors with their landscaping needs. So here are a few things you should think about before you speak to our landscape designers about the new plants, trees and shrubs you want for your new landscape.
The first thing you should do when you are thinking about hiring landscape designers is to think about your family’s wants and needs for their outdoor living space. Do your kids want an area to play in? Are you and your spouse looking for more space to entertain in? Draw out a few rough sketches of what you would like your new yard to look like. That way, you can give the sketches to our landscape designers so they have a better idea of what you want.
Then go outside and take a look at your yard. Note where the sun rises and sets and what side of your home gets more morning sun vs. afternoon or evening sun. Some plants and trees thrive better in the shade or sun than others. Taking the time to see where the sunny and shady spots of your yard are can help our landscape designers come up with a good plan for your yard. Our landscape designers can plan accordingly and plant trees, flowers and shrubs that will grow well in those areas.
Finally, think about what you really want and need and what you can be flexible about. For example, you might be set on having a rose bush or another type of flowering plant as the main focal point of your new landscape, but you might be flexible about the type of trees that are planted. Be sure you let our landscape designers know what you really want to include in your new landscape. We can usually work with you to incorporate as many of your ideas as possible into your landscape plans. And if for some reason one of the plants you really want will not thrive in your yard, we will let you know and help you come up with an alternative.
So when you need professional and reliable landscape designers in Lancaster, call us at Root’s Nurseries. You can reach us at 717-898-0041, visit our Retail Plant Center or contact us and get a Free Estimate on our landscaping services.
Root’s Nurseries specializes in home landscaping in Millersville, so we always keep a watchful eye on the calendar, especially this time of year. Can you believe that spring is less than a month away? There are several tasks you should do to prepare your home landscaping for the upcoming warm months. Here are a few tips on what you should do first.
The first thing you should do is get your rake out of storage and start cleaning your yard and flower beds of leaves and other debris that has built up during the winter months. This is a great way to make sure your grass and flowers are ready to start growing as soon as the weather starts to warm up again. Plus, raking loosens the soil, which encourages healthy new growth.
Then you should take a look at your plants trees and start applying some mulch to them. This helps your plants and trees retain water and keeps them warm during cool spells. If you aren’t sure what type of mulch is best for your yard’s needs, visit our Retail Plant Center to ask one of our friendly and knowledgeable staff members.
Once the weather really begins to warm up, you will want to start watering your home landscaping. The rule of thumb is to water deeply but only when your home landscaping really needs it. Doing it this way encourages the roots to dig deeper into the soil to get the water they need to thrive. And this, in turn, makes the roots even stronger so your plants should last longer and have healthier lives.
Finally, when it is time to pull out your lawn mower, give it a little TLC. Make sure the mower blades are sharp, make sure it has fresh oil and gas (if it’s a gas mower) and make sure the blades are set to the right height. Set them high because longer grass tends to grow thicker and healthier. You might be tempted to cut your grass short if you think this means it will need less mowing. But that isn’t always the case. Mow as often as your yard needs it, and keep the grass on the longer side.
Do you want to learn more about home landscaping in Millersville? Call Root’s Nurseries at 717-898-0041 or you can contact us and get a Free Estimate or visit our Retail Plant Center.
Just because it is winter, that does not mean you should neglect your garden and landscaping! As a garden center serving Lititz and the surrounding areas, we know firsthand that maintaining your garden during the cold months makes it easier to maintain during the warm months. Here are a few of our favorite tips.
- After Christmas is over, don’t just toss out your Christmas tree! Take it outside and leave it for the birds. Anchor the tree in a bucket of damp sand. Then string your tree with cranberries and popcorn. You can also spread peanut butter on pinecones and then dip them in bird seed and hang them up on the tree. This is a great way to attract some lovely birds to your yard and give them some extra shelter and nourishment.
- If you compost, make sure that the refuse is not infested with insects or other pests. If it is, throw it out and do not add it to your compost pile.
- If you have plant containers that are made of ceramic, clay or cast stone, bring them indoors or make sure they don’t have any soil in them. If soil is left in the containers, the soil could freeze and expand and damage or break the containers.
- Make sure you keep up with mulching. If you are unsure of what type of mulch you should use, visit our garden center to learn more. You can mulch your perennial plants after the ground is frozen.
- If you have any plants that are growing underneath the evergreens on your property, make sure they are watered. You might forget about this chore if we get a lot of snow and precipitation this winter, so be sure not to neglect these plants.
- After we get snow or ice, do not walk on your yard. This could cause your grass blades to break and cause dieback that will show when the weather warms up. Try to keep your pets off of the grass too, if possible.
- Make sure you water your newly planted evergreens if the ground is not frozen.
We hope these gardening tips help keep your plants and landscaping looking great during the winter months! And if you have any questions, just visit our garden center.
Are you interested in learning more about winter gardening? Visit our garden center serving Lititz and the surrounding areas. Or call Root’s Nurseries at 717-898-0041 or you can contact us and get a Free Estimate.